How to wear blanket capes without getting overwhelmed.Friday, July 10, 2015
Drowning in a sea of fabric seems to be the flavour of the season and I for one am ALL for it. After the many times I tried to compromise comfort in the name of fashion, I have the opportunity to essentially wrap a blanket around me all day long and be hailed as 'bohemian chic' while I'm at it. Plus for all my fellow brown girls, its time to raid our mother's closets and bring out the good old Pashmina.
As much as I adore this concept, I must admit my hesitance in trying this out on my shorter frame with the fear of capes generally looking overwhelming on me. I've managed to curb my fears though thanks to these quick tips:
1. Pairing a big and bulky cape with a slim silhouette such as your favorite pair of skinny jeans and fitted sweater combo or a pencil midi knit dress or skirt can help tone down the bulkiness than can often accompany knits. Also, look to avoid thicker materials such as the aspen style sweaters we mentioned previously when opting for a cape like this.
2. For finishing touches, slender shows such as the sandals I wore here also balance out the heaviness of the cape but in cooler weather, a good pair of ankle boots that feature cuts to show some skin can also add shape. Personally, I avoid wearing knee length or higher boots here but if you are of a taller frame, this can work too!
3. If you like me can't handle an exposed neck on a windy day, you can also wrap one end around to keep your self super warm this winter.
4. If bulky isn't your thing, worry not! You can still get your cape fix this season by opting for lighter silhouettes such as this, this and this. Although they are better suited to autumn as is, you can certainly layer it up with knits this winter.
5. Lastly, for all you workaholics, turn the cape into corporate with more structured pieces such as cape blazers like this and this.
This aside, a special shout out to the ear cuff I'm wearing above. Unlike other earcuffs I have ever worn, this baby is super comfortable and doesn't come with the pinching feeling in your ear that is distinctive of many others. Best part, they were a bargain buy from Lovisa at just $5.
And finally, we were lucky to get chosen by Independent Fashion Bloggers for this week's roundup of 20 posts. Below is the list of all the blogs that were featured. I urge you guys to check them out!
- Alysalovely: Why to Watch the Astronaut Wives Club
- Amethyst Honey: The Zodiac Dresser | Cancer By Dolce and Gabbana
- Attire Club: Fashion in the Balkans | Bucharest Fashion Week Spring 2015
- A Vogueaholic | My Fashion Diary: Red, White, Blue & Chic | Happy Birthday America
- Bookish & Belle: Everyday Shoes - A Video Lookbook
- Chic on the Peak: Celfie
- Classified Closet: 5 Steps to Writing the Perfect Summer Bucket List
- Denchibitionist: Orange Juice
- Everyday Starlet: Fashion or Bust | How to Wear a Maxi Dress When You’re Curvy
- Excuse Me, I Am French: Snakeskin Details
- Fashion Blender: Old Friends, Colourful Classics
- Happy. Pretty. Sweet.: Dream of the 90’s
- Les Assorties’: #BOB | Katherine Tabinowski
- Musings of a Fashion Designer: Bloggers Eid Spreeeee!!!
- Purushu Arie: Illustration - Meryl Streep Graces Neuejournal Cover
- She Got Her Own: 30 Days Yoga and Fitness Challenge
- Tales of Two: Aspen Chic | Runway to Real
- That Paki Blog: Thoughts on Clothes for Eid and Eid Campaigns
- The Outfit Repeater: YouTube Collab Ideas You’ve Never Thought Of
- We Are Ready Made: Couture Club